Tuesday, May 18, 2010

65 and getting younger every year


Written by Mark Nethers
I remember thinking when I was a child that my dad is 30 years old, man is he really old or what! Well, now that I am going to be celebrating my 65th birthday in a few days I oddly enough no longer feel the way I did about age when I was a child. It is true, I was fearful of growing old. You know you see old people struggling to do the most basic of tasks and lets face it, that is more than a little depressing. I determined in my mind that if I have to grow old I am going to have a good time doing it. And by golly that is exactly what I am doing! When my children began noticing I was asking them with more frequency to repeat something they had said to me we all knew it was probably time to address this issue before it gets any worse. So, I got Hearing aids. And you know what? I actually feel like I have had a new lease on life. It is great. Now my hearing is bordering on the almost supernatural. Seriously, I can hear people talking across the room! I would have done this years ago if I had known how low the Miracle Ear priceswere and much it would help me. So I started thinking what else am I missing out on at my age? So I started asking around and I found out a new senior living facility is accepting new tenants. I took my son Todd and we went over to investigate this senior facility and it was nothing like what I expected. Don't get me wrong, there were old people there, a lot of old people actually. But you know what, the majority of them were laughing and just enjoying life together. I told Todd this place is for me son. Todd agreed and 2 months later I moved in and I haven't stopped "partying" since then! I start out each week with a great very relaxing senior health spa to get me ready for the week. Then I will usually join a senior hiking team or a boating team, or whatever else I feel like that week. And when Friday arrives I am tired, but it is a good tired. After resting up during the weekend I hit the spa on Monday and ready myself to "play" the week away, all over again!

No comments: