Sunday, February 22, 2009

The Kingfisher

As I cleaned the house for a showing, my attention wandered. I sat for a few minutes looking out the back door at the creek and the ducks swimming by. Then out of the corner of my eye I saw one of my favorite birds. The Kingfisher. The medium sized bird has a distinct call of a low rattling sound, and it echos as she flies down Butterfield creek. She landed so gently on a branch that over hung the creek. She preened her feathers in the sun, then dunked into the creek. Unlike most birds, the belted kingfishers female have the more colorful feathers. You can tell them apart by the rusty red feathers that she sports, the male feathers are grey.

That will be one of the things I miss about our house, the wildlife that is in our back yard. My bird list has grown tremendously since I lived here from the cedar wax wing, to the belted kingfisher. It is amazing what you can see if you just take a few minutes to enjoy the outdoors. Bird watching from inside is a great wintertime activity. To keep those birds coming back a small bird feeder is all you need. Keep it full through out the cold months and you will have a wonderful show to watch, we call it nature-vision, much better than the television, if you ask me.

Here is my latest photo capture of my featured friends.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I love your point about nature-vision vs television. Lovely photos of the birds! Very nice! It's so relaxing looking at the pictures.

Val said...

Thanks for comment on my blog.

Great photo and info on the bird. I've watched them, but didn't know it was the female with the red coloring. Thanks for that info, I'll watch more closely.