Saturday, January 31, 2009

Feathered Friends

Today the sun was shining bright. I sat in the living room working on the Rosetta Stone for Chinese, and outside the front picture window, I saw my favorite bird. They only visit here once a year, or that is we have only seen them on a rare occasion.
The cedar wax wing. They have a storm trooper look to them, and their feathers never out of place. They look as if they are wearing a suede coat and a black mask. I quickly paused the chapter I was working on and grabbed the camera, suited up for the chilly weather, and Nilla and I went outside to photograph them. There were at least 20 or so hanging around in the mulberry tree at the corner of the house. The tree, bare, except for a few berries was the popular spot for the day. I was able to snap a few shots of the gorgeous birds. I did not want to disturb them, for in the winter, they need all the energy they can get. So I tiptoed through the snow, inching closer to the tree. The birds did not seem to mind that I was there, and then Nilla came crashing around the corner, but the birds were high above, and did not even notice the 80 pound dog running around below them.

No comments: