Saturday, July 17, 2010

Spaghetti and Meatballs

Homemade of course.  This meal, with the exception of the spaghetti, was homemade.   The bread was a great foccacia bread from Peter Reinhart's Artisan Breads Every Day.  I used a little rosemary and sea salt rather than his exact recipe, and it turned out great.  The meatball recipe included peppers from the garden, and of course, bacon!  Who can eat meatballs without a fantastic tomato sauce.  Even though I am not one to eat tomato sauce on a regular basis, I did enjoy this one.  I took 8 tomatoes from the garden, peeled and de-seeded them, and cooked them on the stove for at least 40 minutes, then added a peeper, and some basil still warm from the Florida sun, and cooked it some more.  I added some garlic, and a little oregano, and yes, cooked it some more.  When I was sure that everything was done, and the liquid had cooked down I took it off the stove to cool.  Once it was cool, I pureed the mixture.  Then I just had to wait until dinner time!  It was worth the wait, everything was so wonderful!  I love having the great veggies from the garden to work into our dinners they are delicious!!!!

No comments: