Tuesday, October 27, 2009

E-Waste and recycling

I was searching for places to recycle my old electronics. I don't know how we got these computer parts, but they are taking up space, and they need to be recycled. They are certainly out of date, and the technology so slow that you would fall asleep between load times on any project. I found that in Australia they have set up a great e-waste recycling program that keeps some of the hazardous materials found in obsolete electronics out of the land fills. I think it is a great program, and they accept a large variety of e-waste, from computers, to dvd players, and everything in between.
Waste management is important all over the world, but waste management in Australia, I think would be really important. They have limited space, and I am sure that the landfills are just as unsightly there as they are in the USA. I really like the thinking that if we can keep stuff out of the land fill we could have less of them. I hope to see E-waste recycling programs popping up from Australia to Zimbabwe. From residential to industrial there are things we all can do to reduce, reuse and recycle making this place we call home a better place for all.

No comments: