Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Gardening resolution

Another one of my New Year plans is to grow a large bounty of heirloom tomatoes. Several different varieties that I can share with my neighbors. I learned today that the neighbor across the street shares the love of tomatoes with me. He too plants tomatoes each year, so that he can finally have flavorful tomatoes that the grocery stores are lacking. Today I told him of my goal, and he shared a few tips with me. He has to grow his tomatoes in pots due to a diseased soil in his yard. I am very excited to share that I just purchased my seeds for this growing season. These are the plants I will be trying to grow. I stress the word trying since my thumb is far from green.

Black Cherry-Tomato Seeds
Cherokee Purple-Tomato Seeds
Marvel Stripe
Blondkopfchen-Heirloom Tomato Seeds
Vintage Wine
Hillbilly (I just had to get this one for the name)
Mortgage Lifter, Red

If I have success with the seeds, I should not only have a nice bounty of tomatoes, but a colorful harvest as well.  I purchased my seeds at TomatoFest.com today, and I can't wait to get them.   Time will tell if my goal of a tomato garden will come to fruition.

1 comment:

Erica said...

mmmm! I love heirloom tomatos! Good luck!