Sunday, May 18, 2008

Well Worth the Wait

The Cure originally suppose to visit Chicago on September 29, 2007, played last night at the Allstate Arena for a solid 3 hours!

The opening show 65daysofstatic were on for only a short time. The drummer was amazing, but the lead guitar was so quiet we could hardly hear it. They were ok, but not my first choice. As they played the arena started to fill up, by the time they were done all the seats were filled. Then a short break, and at 8:15 The Cure took the stage, to an arena filled with screaming fans. Speaking of the fans, it was a different crowd than the last The Cure concert we attended in Tinley Park, during The Curiousa Festival 2004. This year they were more subdue, and a little older.

Robert Smith was great, and he even did a few little dances during songs that he was not rockin' the guitar. They played our favorite songs "Edge of the Deep Green Sea", "Friday I'm in Love", "Love Cats", "Never Enough", "Boys Don't Cry", and many more.
Then when they started the song "Just Like Heaven" the entire crowd sang, it was awesome. You could hear him above everyone, but the idea that the entire crowd was sing was pretty neat.

This concert experience was a little different. The cell phone and the cameras inside are so prevalent that people around us spent more time trying to take pictures, and video via the telephone, that they missed half the concert. One concert goer next to us watch TV on her iphone the entire time we were there. It was kind-of annoying when people would whip out there cell phones and make a call, or record the stage. The lights from the cell phones where everywhere among the crowd. When looking down to the seats in the middle, you could see a sea of light. A little silly, I think, considering the quality that one might get from a video clip on their phone. That is just me though,

We had a great time, and after the 4th time the band came back out on the stage the fans were ecstatic. After the last song, the lights stayed dark, and we thought for a second he would come back, but no a few seconds passed, then the lights came up and there was a sound from the crowd that was sad "awww". It was time to go, make our way through the crowds that were polite and calm. We arrived home shortly after midnight, we were tired, and happy.

1 comment:

lera said...

Oh. The Cure. ::sigh::

My husband and I were just talking about them yesterday. I didn't realize they were still touring. I saw them twice in the 80's. Maybe three times.